Happy June! Feel free to download and share with credit. :)
Right-click and download if you're with me.
Here's a little freebie if you want to use it on your social media feed! I'll try to post more of these in the coming months as I make them for my own accounts. Free for personal use only. Credit is optional (see photographer's name below). Finished size: 1500px x 1500px. Happy Monday!
PHOTO BY HELENA HERTZ
When Hurricane Harvey hit this past fall, Houston came together in a remarkable way. As soon as the water receded, neighbors began cooking food for first responders, organizing donations at churches, and tearing down drywall in the homes of strangers to mitigate flood damage. I, however, remained holed up at home with an infant. As I scrolled through Facebook, I searched for a way to help. Eventually, I came across a thread on Tuesdays Together in which fellow creatives expressed concern about booking clients in the coming months: "Now that so many people have lost everything, will they have any disposable income left to spend on us?" "How will this affect local business?" "What can we do?"
I promised that I would give back by offering a discount to the small business community when I returned from maternity leave. Well, friends, guess what...I've decided to take it one step further and give away a FULL BRANDING PACKAGE to an inspiring creative. I have never, EVER done this before and I really hope it works out.
First, let me be clear that this giveaway will not be awarded to just anyone. It will not be a random drawing, and applicants will have to meet certain criteria. (In that sense, I guess it's more of a contest than a giveaway.) Our goal is to find someone who is not only a great fit for Akula Kreative, but also someone whose work will inspire the community.
HERE'S WHAT WE'RE CURRENTLY LOOKING FOR IN A BRANDING SOULMATE:
- You're a creativepreneur who is serious about taking her business to the next level.
- You have a signature style or unique product to share with the world.
- You've familiarized yourself with our style and want to work with us.
- You live in the Houston area. (This is a requirement for the Full Branding Package, not the Promo.)
- Your brand is upscale but you don't have the funds to develop (or re-develop) the branding required to attract the right clients. You have, however, set aside a minimum of $500 for this part of your biz. (Why? Keep reading.)
HERE'S WHAT YOU GET IF YOU'RE CHOSEN:
Basic Branding Promo valued at $1000:
- $1000 worth of design for $500 (50% off)
- Discovery Session
- Branding Workbook
- Full Logo
- Abbreviated Logo
- Pantone-Based Color Palette
- Style Guide
- Source Files
- Transfer of Copyright
Full Branding Package valued at $2500:
- $2000 worth of FREE design
- Discovery Session
- Branding Workbook
- Full Logo
- Abbreviated Logo
- Pantone-Based Color Palette
- Signature Pattern
- Style Guide
- Business Card Design
- Print + Product Assist
- Source Files
- Transfer of Copyright
- $500 Print + Production Credit
Branding Promo: Limit 1 per quarter. Open to everyone.
$250 deposit required. Balance due at project completion.
Full Branding: Limit 1. Open to Houston area residents only.
$500 deposit required to go towards print work. *
* WAIT. Why are you requiring a $500 deposit for a giveaway?! I designed this project so you can walk away with not only a beautiful brand, but stunning, show-stopping business cards as well. (Think: luxe letterpress, painted edges, the whole nine yards.) If you're tight on cash, then printing a business card that will do your work justice can be tough. Soooo, now you can put all of that hard-earned money towards printing the card of your dreams!!! Plus, requiring a deposit tells me you're SERIOUS about this process and you have some skin in the game. If you reeeally want to apply but only have, let's say, a $300 print budget, we encourage you to apply anyway and leave a note about budget concerns in the comments section. :)
Want to learn more about our Branding Packages? Click here.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUBMISSIONS + CONGRATS TO TRIPP FILMS!
THE FINE PRINT
- The Full Branding Package is open to residents of Houston, Texas and its surrounding suburbs only. (We may have to meet in person up to 3 times over the course of 2-3 months, so be sure you're within driving distance to 77433.) The Basic Branding Promo is open to anyone. You CAN apply for both, but you have to fill out an application for each.
- 1 winner will be chosen for the Full Branding Package (starting in February or March) and 1 winner will be chosen for the Basic Branding Promo (starting in March or April). If everything goes well, we will open the Basic Branding Promo again and accept another applicant for next quarter.
- We will choose winners based on the visions they have for their prospective brands (as well as their enthusiasm, commitment to community, and general awesomeness). Our goal is to find the best possible fit for us both.
- The winner of the Full Branding Package will be required to sign a contract and put down a $500 deposit. This money will be put towards print and production expenses only. Design hours included in the package will be FREE. The winner of the Basic Branding Promo will be required to sign a contract and put down a $250 deposit. This money will be put towards design.
- Akula Kreative reserves the right to change or cancel this giveaway at any time, for any reason.
- This giveaway has no sponsors.
- Application process closes on February 11, 2018.
- Winners will be contacted via email. If a response is not received within 48 hours, we will choose another winner.
- By submitting an application, you accept the rules above.
- If you have any questions, feel free to email us or comment below!
Our Color Palette Photo Contest is back! Submit a photo (or digital scan of original art), and if we choose it for a color palette this spring, we'll give you FREE DESIGN. We can make you a custom graphic, social media template, Pantone-based color palette, hand-lettered phrase...you name it! Each winning photo that is used in a Friday Color Palette will be credited to you with text, a hyperlink, and social media tag (if applicable).
What kind of photos are we looking for? Anything pretty with nice light, interesting textures, and a limited palette of gorgeous colors! Flowers, animals, food, landscapes... If you're a photographer, we're confident you can find beauty in anything. :)
Every photo submitted, whether we choose it or not, will count as 1 entry for the giveaway of a Branding Workbook (which is about to sell out again!).
- Limit of 6 entries per person.
- Professional and amateur photographers welcome.
- The prize (per winning photo) is 30 minutes of professional design work. Prize must be used for 1 project (no splitting into smaller projects over a period of time). It can also be used toward a larger project (like branding) and debited from your total at the value of $100/hr. If we use all 6 of your photos, you can win up to 3 hours of design (or $300 toward a larger project).
- You must have ownership/copyright of the photo and may not submit photos taken by someone else or purchased/downloaded online.
- No purchase necessary.
- No substitutions and no cash value.
- Contest and Giveaway end May 7, 2017 at 11:59pm CST.
- Akula Kreative has the right to cancel the Giveaway at any time.
- Each photo needs to measure at least 2320px x 1600px (the bigger, the better, so we can crop if necessary).
- .jpg files are preferred.
- Label each file with your name or your business name so we can keep track.
- No watermarks, please. (We will be sure to give you full credit for the work.)
Small photos or photos with watermarks will not be considered.
We’ll choose up to 20 photos and contact the winner(s) via email. "Guest Photographer" Color Palettes will be published on the blog (and Facebook) this spring or summer. If you win, please allow up to 3 weeks to receive your design freebie after we know what you want. We will make no more than 2 attempts to contact you via email. Free design expires June 15, 2017.
Oh! And don't worry...we're not asking for ownership or copyright. We just want permission to use your beautiful photos for color inspiration.
Thank you and good luck!!!
* CONTEST IS CLOSED. * However, we're happy to accept submission(s) at any time via email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your name, business name, and website. If submitting more than 1 photo, please attach a zipped folder of your files. We'll contact you within 2 weeks if one of your photos is chosen and discuss our trade from there! Thank you!
Branding Workbook photograph by Kimberly Chau
Making patterns is one of my favorite branding-related tasks. Logos are KING, of course, but the signature pattern of a brand is like the fun cousin that gets to party and lead a less serious life.
Many clients ask, "What do I do with a pattern?" Good question! Patterns are the perfect way to build a bridge between web and print. They don't have to be the star of the show, but they're an important background element that ties everything together.
See the light gray graph pattern around the edges of our website? That's our signature pattern. You'll find it all over the place, including social media posts and the back of our business cards and letterhead. We're not known for the pattern itself, but it's one visual element that we repeat regularly to reinforce our branding.
Since a signature pattern doesn't have quite as big a job to do as a logo, we can have some fun with it. Use it to show some personality or reveal something about your brand. I, for instance, chose a graph pattern because it's my favorite paper for doodling and writing notes. Tiny, uniform squares are the perfect representation of the marriage between the creativity of my right brain and OCD of my left brain.
So...what's up with these swimmers?
Now that summer is officially here, I thought I'd celebrate by sharing a pattern freebie with you! I've made 4 seamless swatches for both web and print: 2 in color and 2 in black + white. The swatches can be used for blog backgrounds, social media, greeting cards, wrapping paper, and more.
This pattern will be FREE to download for 1 week only. (If you don't follow our blog, I highly recommend you start now so you don't miss out on future freebies.)
It's bad enough to want to make everything...but to have an itch to make a print that says you want to make everything is ridiculous. And true.
I've had this idea swimming around in my head for quite some time, and I finally had a chance to sit down and paint for an hour last week. It was amazing. I forgot how cathartic it was to just create something for the heck of it. It's like a spa day for my brain. If you're feeling stressed or uninspired, I invite you to take a break and do this fun coloring/painting exercise!
I've made a printable PDF that serves as a template for the watercolor print you see above. The lettering has a faint outline around it, so all you have to do is choose a color and paint inside the lines. When you're done, you'll look like a professional calligrapher and have something pretty to hang on your wall. Yay!
PHOTO BY KIMBERLY CHAU
Call me a nerd, but my favorite exhibit at the Houston Museum of Natural Science showcases slices of petrified wood. There's a small alcove within the Morian Hall of Paleontology where you can get lost in the beautiful, meandering patterns of oak, elm, and other species. It's amazing.
Today, I'm excited to share with you a collection of hi-res color images and Photoshop brushes you can use for free!
Here's a peak at the color images:
Aren't they gorgeous?! They remind me of images of Earth taken from space...mountains, canyons, and rivers viewed from thousands of miles away.
Each color image and single-color brush measures 1250 px by 1250 px, so you'll have a lot of flexibility. Hope you enjoy them!
To install the brushes: Put the brush presets you have downloaded into the folder Photoshop\Presets\Brushes in the Adobe folder in Program Files if you use Windows or in Applications if you use Mac.
Source: Akula Kreative License: CC by 2.0
You are free to:
- Share — copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format
- Adapt — remix, transform, and build upon the material for any purpose, even commercially.
Attribution — You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.
It's been MONTHS in the making, but v. 2.0 of the Branding Workbook launches today! To celebrate, we're giving away an amaaazing prize pack:
What is the Branding Workbook? The NEW Branding Workbook combines our two most popular formats—booklet and wire-o binding—in a refined, portable package. Thanks to feedback from actual workbook owners, the content has been updated with new graphics, more examples, and access to extra downloads.
Designed for creative entrepreneurs and small business owners, this interactive workbook contains over 40 full-color pages of info, exercises, and tips for crafting a unique, thoughtful, and relevant brand identity.
HOW TO WIN:
- For 1 entry (required) :: fill out the form below.
- For 5 additional entries :: post the image above on Instagram, Facebook, or Twitter. Tag @akulakreative so we know you've done this. (Note: we will not be able to give you points on this one if you have a private IG account.)
- For 2 additional entries :: leave a comment on Instagram or Facebook telling us what you sell (product or service) and how the Branding Workbook might help your small biz.
- For 5 additional entries :: purchase any workbook between October 5-9, 2015. Keep this copy for yourself or give it to a friend! Use coupon code LAUNCH20 for 20% OFF the v. 2.0 workbook.
If you've already purchased the workbook, simply leave a comment on social media and we'll give you 5 entries!
- Giveaway starts October 5, 2015 and ends October 9, 2015 at 11:59pm CST.
- To enter, fill out the form below. No purchase necessary.
- For additional entries, see "How to Win" above. Max. of 18 entry points per person.
- One winner will be selected by random drawing the week of October 12th and notified via email. Assuming we have a valid mailing address, we will ship the prize pack within 5 business days of the announcement.
- By entering this giveaway, you hereby grant Akula Kreative permission to publish your name, business name (if applicable), and any other business-related details you include in your submission. We will NOT publish your email, mailing address, or any other private contact info.
- Akula Kreative has the right to change the rules or cancel this giveaway at any time. (We have no intention of doing this, but we have to protect ourselves.)
UPDATE :: The winner has been selected and notified via email. Thank you for your participation! Follow us on Instagram for the chance to win another giveaway very, very soon.
Congratulations to KRISTY of Looseleaf Editorial & Production for winning a copy of our Branding Workbook!
Kristy, a small business owner in Utah, provides quality editorial and production services to individual authors, publishers, businesses, and scholars. When asked how the Branding Workbook would help her, she explained:
I am preparing to focus my efforts specifically to fiction authors this coming year. Up to now I have been casting a very broad net for clients, but my schedule is now very full (I'm a stay-at-home mom and I'll soon be managing .33 acres of garden and chickens as well), so I want to select for quality over quantity when it comes to clients.
I want to focus my branding (and probably rebrand) to attract fiction writers, as they are the clients whose work I enjoy the most and with whom I feel the most collaborative spirit.
However, I have NO branding experience. I built my website myself and did all the logo creation, but I have little design background (I think it shows). I was able to get some professional input on my rebrand, but I don't feel like I have a good enough direction yet for myself, let alone for someone else to help me. A workbook would help me ask the right questions and formulate solid answers so I can give myself a better idea of how to brand Looseleaf appropriately.
Kristy: the Branding Workbook sounds like a great fit for this little predicament, so we are more than happy to give you a boost. Good luck, best wishes, and stay in touch!
For those who didn't win, we'd like to offer you a discount for participating (valid Dec. 12 - 15, 2014):
Save 10% on the Branding Workbook Booklet with code BOOKLET10
Save 15% on the Branding Workbook Wire-O with code WIREO15
Save 20% on the Branding Workbook Mini Binder with code BINDER20
We'll be closing shop over Christmas, so this weekend is your last chance to purchase before 2015.
HUUUGE THANKS FOR ALL OF YOUR SUBMISSIONS!!!